Monday, December 5, 2011

GingerSNAP 5k Recap

This race was a really weird one. It was lined up to be an awful race, and I felt awful the whole time, but somehow I PRed by 2 minutes anyway and won first in my age division. I was sure that I hadn't won anything, though, so I didn't stay for awards, which I am really bummed about. Anyway, onto the recap...

I hadn't eaten very well the week beforehand, it was a long, stressful drive home the night before (which led to no sleep), and I was semi-dehydrated, so I wasn't really expecting much. I got up at 5:45 am, showered, got ready, and ate my oatmeal+pb combination that I love so much, and we headed off to the race. I got there around 7 and picked up my race packet, which was nothing too fancy. They did have chip timing at this race, though, which I loved.

Luckily, my mom, sister, and Zach came with me, so I had my own paparazzi.

pinning on my bib. 

Zach, being supportive by holding all my crap. 

My sister was thrilled to get up at 6 am to sit in the cold.

The race started about 10 minutes late, but it felt like an hour, because it was so cold. I had to pee pretty much the entire race, which was annoying. I also felt like I started the race with this "I just want this to be over with" mentality, which might have been the key to my fast time, haha.

Just before the start, some girl tried to sing the national anthem, but at the same time she started singing it, a train came through the town directly next to the course and totally drowned her out. Hilarious. Poor kid. Anyway, eventually, we started.

Within the first quarter mile, I managed to come down on my ankle awkwardly, and mildly sprained it. It hurt pretty bad, but I decided I would keep going and see how it felt. Eventually, the pain wasn't so bad, and I was still able to finish. It is still painful, but hurts nothing like it did during that race.

I am the one in the bright pink towards the right. 
I got a little nauseated a few times during the race but just tried to focus on my breathing, and it ended up working out, I guess. The race had a lot of out-and-backs (which is a little ridiculous for a 5k to have anyway), and I wasn't such a fan of those. Otherwise, I felt it was pretty well organized, and I would definitely run it again.

I was really surprised that after all my set-backs I still managed to PR! I came in at 27:31, as opposed to my first 5k time of 29:20.

Crossing the finish line. (on the far right of the photo, in the pink.)
I was so glad to be done.

That's an impressive face I'm making.

Zach and I after the race. The sun was clearly in our eyes.
Despite my overall attitude going into the race, it was pretty fun, and I'm glad that I did it. I'd do it again, too. Except maybe I'd prepare better for it. Oh, and bring my own porta-potty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment