Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spaghetti, Squash, and Shoes

First, let's start with my embarrassing story of the day: I decided to get some hot cider from a cafe on campus because I was cold. Well, I got a deformed cup, and when I went to put the lid on it, it literally exploded and sent boiling hot cider flying all over me. Unfortunately, I had class, so I was covered with the stuff for the next 3 hours sitting in a molecular biology lab. It was sticky and uncomfortable, but on the bright side, the smell of apple cider probably covered up the smell of my sweaty gym clothes, since I went straight to class from the gym. Now I can't decide if this story is good or bad, but I was mad about it at the time.

Moving on... I have been in love with spaghetti squash lately. It is easy to make, and you can eat it just like spaghetti, but it's healthier! I made a ton this weekend, and now all I have to do for my dinners is chop up some onion, throw some spaghetti sauce and garlic into the mix, sprinkle a little cheese on top, and microwave it. Ta-da! It's not pretty, but it makes up for it with taste. 

I need to start a professional food photography business.


How to cook a spaghetti squash:
1. Cut squash in half (length-wise) and scoop out the seeds and pulp.
2. Lay it face down (the inside of the squash should be the part touching the pan) on a greased baking sheet/pan and bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes. It is done when you can easily insert a knife into it.
3. Remove from oven and scoop out the squash part.
...and then chow down.
This is the kind of recipe I like. Quick, few ingredients, and hard to screw up. Ashley-proof. 

In other news, I got new shoes the other day, since my old ones had a hole in them. These are okay. They are Sketchers, which I haven't owned before. They also blend in with the carpet in my bedroom, which is an added plus because it is harder to see them when they are strewn all over the floor. The only bad thing about them is that the arch support isn't amazing, but I guess that's what you get when you choose stylish over practical. Since they are just for walking to and from class and generally hanging out, I think I'll live. 


School is finally kicking it up a notch... labs have started, and I am getting a more steady flow of homework, so I might not be blogging quite as often. This semester is going to be rough, but I am psyched to graduate. Anyone want to hire me? Pretty please? 

Also, I completely forgot I was supposed to be writing "Whiny Wednesday". I just stopped doing it, apparently (I think not having school = less things to whine about). Why aren't you people keeping me in line and reminding me about these things? Good thing tomorrow is Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment