Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Road ID

After reading this post, about ShutUpandRun's relative/friend who just went missing during a run, I was reminded exactly how dangerous running can be. Granted, random abductions are not common, but when they do happen, you typically hear about them happening to an early morning runner. Even though abductions are a small worry, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong on a run, like getting seriously injured, hit by a car, or passing out from dehydration or low blood sugar. 

Even though I don't go on terribly long runs, you never know what might happen, so I decided to get a Road ID. I had a $15 gift card for one that I won at my last 5k (when I came in first in my age group), so I only had to pay  $2. Can't beat that, right? Granted, it won't do much for me if I'm nabbed by a serial killer (other than save some money on DNA/dental identification when they find my body... not to be morbid or anything), but if I end up unconscious somewhere, it will definitely be helpful.

I chose this one, the Road ID Slim:

Source

Obviously, this isn't mine, but it looks similar. I chose to put my name on the top, along with my birth year, and then the next three lines are phone numbers: my dad's, my mom's, and Zach's. The fifth line lists my allergies. I chose not to put an inspirational saying on it because, when it comes down to it, I'd rather have useful information on there (like Zach's phone number, because my parents rarely answer their phones) than something fun. Obviously, this means Zach is pretty much stuck with me for life, now that he's on my Road ID.

Having this ID will give me a little more peace of mind on my runs, but this woman's disappearance still really struck a chord with me. Check out the information and re-post it if you would like... I figure the more people that know about it, the more likely she is to be found quickly, and the first 48 hours are crucial in a case like this.

2 comments:

  1. So true. I love my RoadID simply for the sake of feeling a tad safer. It's all too easy to forget that there ARE crazies out there and anything could happen to any of us. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't stop thinking about her disappearance either. I have been thinking about getting a road ID for awhile but just haven't done it. It's one of those things that you'll wish you did when it's too late. Thanks for the reminder, I am ordering mine this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete